Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ramblings....

In my first blog I attempted to give you a quick introduction on who I am.  In my second I'm going to attempt to catch you up to the present.  The past week has been a little bit crazy so this may come across more like the ramblings of a child struggling with Attention Deficit Disorder than a blog post, so bear with me please.  I made the decision to switch gyms this week and that was probably more stressful for me than it should have been.  Why?  I'm a creature of habit.  Selling auto parts seems to take up almost all my time so those precious hours I have away from the business I try to keep organized and efficient.  Going to a new gym felt like a new job to me.  A new contract, different equipment, out of my "comfort zone" again.  It really will end up being no big deal.  My "new gym" is actually the gym I went to for about a year to get into shape.  It's also the most popular gym in the area, so it will be nice seeing different friends there every day.

I'm a big NASCAR fan.  They had their season opener "The Daytona 500" about a week and a half ago.  Why is this important? It's really not, but I feel a comparison to that and what's going on right now for me is appropriate.  The Daytona 500 is arguably the biggest race of the year in the United States, and unlike most sports, their finale comes at the season opener instead of the end of the year.  My wife, Pam, and I will be doing the same thing.  Well, sorta.  Last year I participated in 3 Tough Mudders, a Spartan, a Warrior Dash, and a handful of other events.  Pam joined me for a few of them.  This year I decided that my only goal was to make 2012 more 'epic' than 2011.  So far I'm signed up for 9 Tough Mudders, a Spartan, 2 Warrior Dashes and a couple others.  Pam is signed up for one of those Tough Mudders and hopefully more as the year goes on.  But the important comparison here is this: Our first event is a lesser known event known as "The Goruck Challenge".  In short it's an event that lasts for 10+ hours, over a distance of 15-20 miles, usually in scenic locations.  It's a team challenge, usually in "classes" of 30 people.  If you weigh less than 150lbs you carry a Goruck (backpack) with 4 bricks, water, food, and whatever else you think you may need.  If you're over 150lbs like me, add two more bricks to that bag.  "Good Livin'" is what it's affectionately called.  Our Good Livin' takes place in Boston, on St. Patrick's Day, and starts at 10pm.  The past couple weeks we have been tasked to get all our stuff together and get prepared mentally.  So we're starting our year with the challenge that takes the most preparation physically, mentally, and equipment-wise.  Just like in NASCAR.

I plan on posting another blog again before our challenge to show you what we have prepared, and again afterwards to tell you about our Goruck Challenge - Boston experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment